UPDATE 5/1/20: The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program (VITA) will now be preparing taxes virtually. Click here to have your taxes prepared virtually by a trained and certified volunteer!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program has been closed since March 15 and has been working to create an IRS-approved "virtual" solution. We are proud to announce that Rutherford, along with 28 counties in Middle Tennessee, have now gone virtual!
How it works:
1. Virtual tax preparation is for clients who are able to use their smart phone or computer to download or take photos of tax related documents
2. The link to our submission form is http://form.jotform.com/201114220875141
3. We contact the client by phone to review forms, clarify information, and ensure accuracy of the return
4. We e-file the return to the IRS and the client receives an electronic copy of their tax return
5. We understand this process isn’t for everyone, but it is a way to serve some of our community now. People who have simple returns and want a FREE self-file solution can do so using this link: https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
Requirements for Virtual Tax Prep:
- Must have smart phone or laptop/internet
- Must be able to send PDF file of IRS-required documents that apply to client return and supply any missing documents
- Must be able to speak to both the tax preparer and Quality Reviewer by phone to ensure accuracy of the information and filing
Interested in being a VITA Volunteer? Sign-up here! Training provided.