United Way of Rutherford and Cannon Counties serves as the local champion of the Imagination Library, in partnership with the Governor's Early Literacy Foundation (formerly known as the Governor’s Books from Birth Foundation). Your local Imagination Library provides one book per month to children from birth through age five at no cost to families, regardless of income.
- 16,000 + children currently enrolled in Rutherford and Cannon Counties.
- 75% of the eligible population is enrolled in Cannon County.
- 65% of the eligible population is enrolled in Rutherford County.
- Children who participate in the program have significantly higher reading scores than their non-participating peers.
Within eight to ten weeks, your child should receive a new, age-appropriate book in the mail every month until they reach their fifth birthday. Please notify us of a change of address by clicking here or calling 615-893-4131. If you move outside of Tennessee, please contact the Dollywood Foundation at 865-428-9606 to see if your new community has the Imagination Library program.
GROWING YOUNG READERS
When you support your local Imagination Library, you are directly helping a young family set a solid foundation for their children both in school and in life. Getting a book in the mail each month keeps the excitement alive and encourages families to read together.
- Reading to a child in an interactive style raises a child’s IQ by 6 points.
- Research shows that children who are read to regularly at home hear twice as many words every year and have 1/3 larger vocabulary by age three than children who are not read to at home.
- Children who have not developed basic literacy skills by the time they enter school are 3 - 4 times more likely to drop out in later years.
View resources & activities for engaging with your child using their Imagination Library books.