Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance is a FREE service that aids qualifying local residents in claiming their tax refund dollars.
In 2016, more than 40 volunteers completed 885 tax returns, resulting in a $1.2M economic impact on Rutherford and Cannon counties.
Preparing for your visit:
REQUIRED ITEMS TO BRING
- Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
- Original copies of Social Security Cards or ITINs (for everyone on the return)
- Proof of Income (a W2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security Income, Unemployment, Interest, etc.)
- Proof of Expenses if Claiming Any (Childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of Mileage if claiming any (must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving)
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return
- Last year’s tax return
- Direct deposit information
WE CANNOT PREPARE
- Schedule C with Losses (can only file one Schedule C per return. Must have expenses less than $10,000. No businesses with depreciation or inventory or claiming home office deduction.
- Complicated and Advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Rental or Farm Income
- Certain travel and auto deductions